Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Getting New Knees!



Well, I may be incognito for a few days. I am going into the hospital for a total knee replacement. Am I nervous? Well, yes, a little, but I think it will be fine. My doctor says next to heart surgery this is the most life changing surgery - and lucky me gets to go through it twice in one summer! I weeded my garden this morning and really took notice of how much I use my legs when I garden or pull weeds - its going to be interesting to see how I manage this without using them and sitting on a little seat on a cart and using one of those grabbers to pull the weeds. Somehow I don't know that this will work well...but I am willing to try it.
This whole thing really makes me think about choices I made that got me into this mess. I didn't get very heavy until about fifteen years ago. I was overweight, but not like I am now. If only I had realized what I was doing to my body and how it would affect my knees, walking, standing etc., I'd like to think I would have been more careful of gaining weight. Its so easy to let things go and indulge in the things you like, but it comes with a price tag attached. One of my nieces had gotten a bit heavy and decided to do something about it. It has taken her a year, but she looks wonderful - and feels wonderful too. I look at young women who are as overweight as I am and I want to tell them what I know, but if I am honest, they won't listen any more than I did. When you are young you really can't grasp the idea of  of what will happen down the line. Some people choose to cause these injuries on purpose -football players, soccer players and other sports figures often have terrible arthritis as they get older. We certainly are foolish with what we have been given. I guess as in all things, moderation is the key!

I have lost about 8 lbs since I was told to get ready for the surgery. The key here is can I continue doing this so I can get my life back! Pray for me, I really need to be covered in prayer both for the surgery and the recovery phase. Thanks - see you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment