Chocolate Hazelnut and Caramel ThumbprintsYield: about 36 cookies
Prep 40 mins Chill 1 hr Bake 350°F 10 mins per batch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts (filberts)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 14 vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Toasted whole hazelnuts (about 36)
1. In a small bowl combine flour and cocoa powder; set aside. In a medium bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and salt; beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yolk, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture. Cover; chill for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two cookie sheets; set aside. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place the 1 cup hazelnuts on a sheet of waxed paper. Dip balls in egg white and roll in hazelnuts. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each cookie. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm.
3. Meanwhile, for filling, in a small saucepan cook caramels and cream over low heat until caramels are melted and the mixture is smooth, stirring frequently.
4. Immediately after removing cookies from the oven, use the rounded side of a 1-teaspoon measuring spoon to press down the center of each cookie. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Spoon about 1 teaspoon filling into the center of each cookie.
5. In a small microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate pieces and shortening. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 30 to 45 seconds or until softened; stir until smooth. Place a small mound of chocolate on top of each cookie. Top with a whole hazelnut. Let stand until chocolate is set.
Chocolate, Hazelnut and Caramel ThumbprintsServings Per Recipe: 18
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 24.7 mg
- Sodium: 129.1 mg
- Total Carbs: 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g
- Sugars: 16.5 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: