Saturday, January 5, 2013

Les Mis


                                                 


It was our anniversary yesterday, so hubby agreed to take me to see Les Mis. This is a big thing  because, being a good Scotsman and penny pincher, we rarely go. He would much rather wait till a movie is on DVD so he won't have to spend as much money! As a bonus, he also decided to take me out to dinner! Score!

Oh my gosh! I cannot even begin to put in words how much the movie affected me. I've read the Victor Hugo book, listened to the CD, watched most of the 10th and 25th anniversary shows on PBS, and nothing compared to this. I felt like I was part of it. Everything was so realistic - the filth of the people, the whores and vagabonds, the scene where the convicts are bringing the ship into dry dock - just heart wrenching. To watch Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway change through the course of the movie was incredible. The attention to detail, like the missing tooth in Fantine's mouth, was superb.
Surely Hugh and Anne will be nominated for the Oscar, but really just about everyone was first rate.

I had a good giggle when I saw this on you tube - said on my facebook this would be me and the hubby - little did I know we would come close to it!
 

I just cried for the last 10 minutes. I had no idea it would hit me so hard  and I noticed hubby had tears streaming down his face during the revolution scene. We left the movie just drained, but in a good way, and so glad we had seen it on the "big" screen.

I think one of the most powerful scenes in the movie was this one

Anne Hathaway singing I Dreamed a Dream - wow! I have sung this song several times in concert, but I have never captured the intense feelings she showed. I understand that the songs were done in real time rather than in a studio and added in. The director felt this would give a much more realistic feel - it surely did. Hugh Jackman is known as a song and dance man and does a decent job. Is he Alfie Boe?

 Absolutely not, but his acting skill more than made up for his vocal deficiencies

I was impressed with Eddie Remayne. I had enjoyed him in My Week with Marilyn, but had no idea he had a background in musical theater. Samantha Banks was from the 25th Anniversary Celebration as Eponine and did a beautiful job as well.

Amanda Seyfried is a beautiful girl and I truly enjoyed her in Mama Mia!, but vocally, she left a bit to be desired. It wan't bad, but those high notes were a bit thin. Russell Crowe, well, he did a good job acting wise, but his voice had no power or warmth to it.. I think I might have preferred Gerard Butler - also not the  best vocally, but I think better than Crowe. Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter were amazing - they portrayed those reprobates so well  - they half had you laughing and half had you sick over how disgusting they were as people. Little Daniel Huttlestone did a bang up job as Gavroche, the little street urchin, (spoiler alert) and his death started the crying jag! I also appreciated Aaron Tveit - an upstater like me - beautiful vocals.

Afterwards, went to our favorite dine - Ambrosia and had a lovely meal. We picked up some ice cream on the way home - a lovely end, to a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment