Monday, September 2, 2019

A New Start

    


 I kind of feel like Bilbo Baggins these days, I am about to embark on an adventure and looking at it with excitement and a little trepidation.  Life since my husband passed away has been hard. Not like desperately hard, but like a slow death every day. I knew I was suffering from depression, but frankly didn't really care. Other than going to my quilting group I had pretty much shut myself out of everything else. I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything, so I just sat home staring at my computer, a book or television. Nothing was getting done, the house was a wreck and I was gaining weight yet again. But something simple happened that started a chain of events that led to this adventure springing up into my hands.

     I have wanted to go to Ireland for a long time. I talked about my dreams with my husband and he said when the right time came, I should go. I also have followed the group Celtic Thunder for 10 years and did 2 cruises with them. It didn't look like one was in the offing, but then Emmet Cahill, who I would say is my favorite because I absolutely love his voice and he is a really nice guy, announced he was going to do a European Extravaganza for his fans. There were only so many spots, so it was going to be done with advance notice and whoever got their info in quickest would get one of the "golden tickets."  I was one of the lucky ones and had fun thinking about the places I would see. Besides some places in Ireland, the tour included a cruise down the Seine with stops in Honfleur and Rouen, a stop in Liverpool and a day in Wales. But then I started thinking, well, as long as I was over there, I should see if my friend who lives in England would like a visit - she did, so I added several days on to the end of my itinerary. Then I thought well ,I am only seeing a small portion of Ireland with Emmet, maybe I should go a week before and see some other places...well you can see where this is headed I am sure. So, I am now getting ready to embark on a 2 month odyssey through Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Wales and France! Oh, and did I mention I am going alone?  That doesn't really bother me, 50 years ago when I spent 4 months overseas, I did it on my own as well. Now I know I am a senior citizen, but I really feel quite confidant about it all. I have done all my own bookings and planned my own tours. I am hoping this gives me a kickstart back into life - I am sure it will!

3 comments:

  1. Go girl! You have accomplished so much to date by organizing this trip by yourself. I am happy for you. And I thank Emmet who’s voice worked his magic on you. I don’t know which is worst, having remorse or regrets, but I sure would have loved to accompany you on your quest. Can’t wait to read about it all. Safe travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very proud of you, Linda! I would say that you have already gotten a "kickstart back into life", simply by having the courage to do what you've done so far!

    ReplyDelete